Examples of liability that may be covered are:
- A visitor slips and falls on your front stairs and injures themselves
- A tree located in your yard is aged and falls across the fence line landing on the neighbours house
In these instances your Home policy will provide cover if you are found to be legally liable for injury or property damage sustained by an unrelated party.
So why do I need Contents insurance?
Insurance on your contents also includes a form of personal liability insurance arising out of death, bodily injury or property damage. If you are a renter or if you own and occupy your home your contents insurance will cover your liability as occupier of the home and it will also cover extended personal liability anywhere in the world.
Without Contents Insurance you do not have this cover.
Examples of liability that may be covered by your contents insurance are:
- You are a renter and you accidentally cause a fire whilst cooking your contents insurance will cover your liability for damage to the landlords property that you live in. This could obviously be a significant cost.
- You are an owner occupier or renter and you are riding a bicycle on the roadway and accidentally cause an injury to a pedestrian.
- You are an owner occupier or renter, riding a bicycle and accidentally run into a stationary car on the side of the road, causing damage to the vehicle.
- You are an owner occupier or renter on holiday in Japan and accidentally injury another person while skiing.
In these instances your Contents policy will provide cover if you are found to be legally liable for injury or property damage sustained by an unrelated party.
Liabilities that may not be covered by Home or Contents insurance
Certain liabilities are not able to be insured under Home or Contents insurance. Some of these may be covered under other types of insurance, such as Motor Vehicle Liability, Business Liability, Aviation or Marine Liability to name a few.
Some other Liabilities may not able to be covered at all, such as an intentional act, damage to your own property or injury to a person who lives with you.
For a full list of excluded liabilities you will need to refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement.
Considering contents only or home and contents insurance?
Our NQIB team are ready to assist you with quotes, placing cover or answering any questions you may have about your insurance needs. Don’t hesitate to contact us.
This advice is general and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the advice is suitable for you and your personal circumstances. Before you make any decision about whether to acquire a certain product, you should obtain and read the relevant product disclosure statement.